- 2 and 1 cups shredded green papaya
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 4-6 long beans (or 4-5 green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 0.5 cup crushed toasted peanuts
- 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
For the dressing
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon fish sauce (skip for vegan)
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 finely chopped Thai bird's eye chili
- salt to taste
- Soak the papaya and carrot juliennes in ice water for 10-15 minutes until they are firmer.
- Add chopped long beans (or green beans) to a mortar and pestle and gently bruises them.
- Drain the soaked papaya and carrot well and place in a plate lined with 2 layers of paper towel to absorb excess water. You want to have as little water on the papaya and carrot as possible so as to not dilute the dressing.
- Transfer the papaya and carrot to a large mixing bowl along with bruised beans, bean sprouts, and chopped cilantro and toss well.
- Stir together vegetable oil, lime juice, soy sauce, fish sauce, brown sugar, minced garlic, finely chopped Thai bird’s eye chili, and salt in a small bowl to make the dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well to coat the vegetables with the dressing.
- Sprinkle the crushed toasted peanuts on top. Serve immediately.
Double or triple the recipe if you are making it for a gathering.
Chopped dried shrimp gives a very unique flavor to this salad and they are traditionally added to this recipe. I am personally not a fan of dried shrimp so did not include them but you must definitely add a tablespoon of chopped dried shrimp along with the veggies.
If Thai chilies are not easily available, use red pepper flakes instead.
For a vegan papaya salad, skip adding fish sauce and chopped dried shrimp, and to make it gluten-free, replace soy sauce with tamari or coconut aminos. For a healthier salad, replace brown sugar with honey or maple syrup.
- Calories: 349 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Protein: 9g
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Sodium: 690 mg
- Potassium: 691 mg
- Fiber: 6g
- Sugar: 19g
- Vitamin A: 6872 IU
- Vitamin C: 121 mg
- Calcium: 83 mg
- Iron: 2mg
Produce on This:
Green Long Beans
PAPAYA GREEN - TAINUNG